Sunday, November 29, 2009

My First Kidding Season - Lilah

The following is from my 2008 kidding journal.

Thursday - 2/14/08
Just before dark, Ray went to check on Lilah (who was in the big pen) She was showing some gel drainage, so I took Emily back to the big pen - once again. I got Lilah settled into a pen and her water broke and within 10 minutes she had delivered 3 babies one right after the other. It was like push - pop a baby - breath - push - pop a baby - breath - push - pop a baby! I got the whole thing on film. It was about 7:00 when I had helped Lilah get all of her babies cleaned up and a little dried off. 2 does and 1 buck.

The first 2 kids just born

Oreo, Fawn, and Rufus

Finishing the clean up! It was a long day!

- Gave 1/2 cc BoSe orally to each kid and 1 cc SQ to Lilah
- Gave Lilah 2 cc Lutalyse (Lute) to help her pass the placenta since she had not passed it after 4 hours
- Gave 10 cc penicillin to fight infection from the retained placenta

Friday - 2/15/06
- Lilah passed her plecenta
- Gave her 10 cc penicillin to fight unerine infection
- Gave her 25 cc Cal-Mag-Co paste orally for calcium, energy, and to prevent Milk Fever
- The babies are all doing fine


Saturday - 2/16/08
- Gave her 10 cc penicillin to fight unerine infection
- Moved Lilah out to the big goat pen and the babies into the kid room with the other kids
- Lilah is in heat from the Lutalyse shot. She is VERY moody with me and the other goats. She is the "queen" doe and asserts herself.
- I'm having to fight her to get her up onto the milking stand.
- She is not giving her milk down and I'm afraid that she will get Mastitus.
- Gave her 1 cc Oxytosin to help her let her milk down.

Sunday - 2/17/08
- Gave her 1 cc Oxytosin to help her let her milk down.
- I'm having to fight her to get her up on the milking stand. I'm sure that is part of the problem with her not letting her milk down.
- Gave her 10 cc penicillin to fight uterine infection.
- Lilah only gave me about a cup of milk in the evening milking. I'll give her Oxytosin in the morning to let the milk down.

Monday - 2/18/08
- Gave her 1 cc Oxytosin to help her let her milk down.
- I'm still having to fight her to get her up on the milking stand.
- I trimmed her hooves while I had her on the milk stand. She has a back hoof that is a little separated from the foot wall .
- Gave her 10 cc penicillin to fight uterine infection.
- Gave her 1 cc Oxytosin to help her let her milk down again this evening.

Tuesday - 2/19/08
- Lila gave me her milk this morning without an Oxytosin injection! Yea!
- She's giving almost a gallon a day already!

3 comments:

~Tonia said...

Lilah is Queen she only gives her milk when she is good and ready Huh? Lol
When I had that one with tangled kids I had to give 2 different antibiotics Plus the Lute... She did not want anything to do with me for a few days afterwards!! She was tired of getting poked with a needle!

Brenda said...

Yes - Lilah is the Queen! She has been since the first day on the farm. She will be 6 years old this spring and maintains her position well. She rarely ever has to remind the other does of her position ... they respect her. As long as I respect her position and acknowlege her first, there's peace in the herd. But, if I show preference to one of the other does first, she lets me know that she's not happy until I give here the attention she deserves. And I respect that... In the society of the herd ... she has a leadership roll to fulfill.

Marg said...

I gotta say Lilah is a little snootie when she wants to be. When I came to live with Brenda, I had never been around a goat before, so Brenda took me a chair to set and experience her hand milking, only 6 I think was what she milked that first season I was here. Well Lilah came over to me and wanted petting, so I did. I petted her on top of the head and rubbed it. Well she nipped me on the arm. Brenda said then that they don't like ya to rub them on top of the head, as they think you are picking a fight. lol So I have learned a lot since I have been here. But it has been very interesting, let me tell ya, and fun. lol
Mother