Monday, December 28, 2009

Goat Cheeses - Cheddar and Pepper Jack

I love making cheeses from my fresh raw goat's milk! I love eating the cheeses too! They are SO delicious.

Here are a couple of cheeses that I made this fall. They are out in the processing room in the large fridge/cooler aging.

They'll be ready to eat in about another week. Raw milk cheeses have to be aged at least 60 days to be sure they are safe to eat. I'm very anxious to taste them. They smell wonderful.

Here is a 10 pound goat milk Pepper Jack cheese. I dried jalapeno and cayenne peppers from my garden to use in this cheese. Yumm!


Goat Milk Pepper Jack
Goat Milk Pepper Jack

Here are a couple of 10 pound goat milk Cheddar type cheeses.

Goat Milk Cheddar cheeses

I have them on a plastic mat in containers for aging. This keeps them at the correct humidity that keeps them from drying out during the aging process. I put a little water in the bottom of the container to keep the humidity around 85% to 90%. You can see the thermometer/hydrometer in the top container. The temperature stays between 48* and 50* during the aging time.

Cheddar and Pepper Jack

The cheeses have to be flipped over regularly during the aging process to keep the moisture evened out in the cheese. Opening the containers to flip the cheeses also allows the gases to exchange for fresh air in the containers.

I can hardly wait to taste these cheeses!

7 comments:

Linda said...

Oh! Oh! Oh! Have you shared how to do this yet? If not will you??? I'd really like that!

goatmilker said...

Oh wow they look so yummy! I tried to make cheese from my goats milk sometimes I had luck and sometimes I did not. Looks like you did a good job. Have a great day Rebekah.

~Tonia said...

Mmmmmmm........

Linda said...

I just finished up reading your blog - wow! and how interesting! Ah and I suppose you won't tell us how to make cheese? LOL

Feral Female said...

Oh my do they look good!! I`ve tried to make cheese a few times and it always ends up being fed to the hogs....I`d be very interested in a few tips from a pro myself! =)

Brenda said...

Thanks to you all for the great comments! Yes, Linda, I do plan to post how I make the cheeses.... But, it will have to wait until the girls start kidding in a few weeks and I have fresh milk again! I can hardly believe it ... only 22 days until the first group of 14 start having babies! I have 48 does kidding this season.

Don't worry if your first attempts at cheese making get fed to the dogs or the hogs! During my first season making the cheeses ... I think I fed as much to the dogs as I actually shared with friends. Yes, the failures went to the dogs and the successes went to friends!

I'll be posting some of the other yummy cheeses I made this fall in the next few days. I wish I could share some of the actual cheeses with you all.

Tonia, I look forward to you and the girls coming over this week. We'll have a cheese tasting session! Mmmmmmmm....

Linda said...

Great! I am soooo looking forward to learning how to make cheese...