Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Goat Milk Blue Cheese

I made this blue cheese earlier this fall from my fresh raw goat's milk.  I have enjoyed watching the blue mold, penicillium roqueforti, grow on this 8 pound cheese as it has aged.  The blue mold keeps undesirable molds from growing on the cheese and it's enzymes influence the development of the cheese's pungent taste and creamy texture.  


Goat Milk Blue Cheese

I put the penicillium roqueforti mold culture into the cheese milk as I was making the cheese.  I poked holes in the new cheese about 1 inch apart and all the way through all over the cheese with a sterilized stainless skewer.  This allows the blue mold to grow into the cheese.  Several days later this beautiful blue mold grew all over the cheese.  


I wrapped the cheese loosely in a damp cheese cloth to keep the cheese moist during the ageing process.



 Blue Cheese wrapped during ageing

To keep the cheese at the high humidity it needed to ripen properly, I bought a cake carrier to put it in.  It was the perfect size and allowed me to keep the cheese in the same fridge/cooler with the other cheeses without contaminating them with the blue mold.  ( Well ... this was mostly successful ... I have found a little of the blue mold growing on the gouda and provolone! )

 
Goat Milk Blue Cheese - Under Cover


Here is a slice of the cheese that I cut this morning.  I trimmed the rind off before eating it ... I wasn't brave enough to try the rind!  The cheese has a smooth creamy soft texture and a mild blue cheese flavor.  I think it is delicious ... I really like blue cheese.  I'm sure it's flavor will get stronger as it ages longer, but I couldn't wait to give it a taste! 



Goat Milk Blue Cheese slice

I'm enjoying eating it by it's self and I'm sure it's going to be delicious crumbled into a salad.

I have to give a special "Thank You" to Tonia (from The Simple Life) and her daughters for coming by today and sampling cheeses with me!  I enjoyed sharing the cheeses with them, the visit, and all of the goat stories!

5 comments:

Linda said...

My husband really likes blue cheese salad dressing - it would be interesting to make some 'real' with that homemade cheese! Sounds awesome!

Marg said...

I think your blue cheese is a very pretty cheese, and I loved the texture and taste. I think you have another winner there. I love it.
Mother

Brenda said...

It is a really good cheese. I think making a salad dressing would be a good idea. It's not as hard to make as you'd think.

Trying the new cheese recipies this fall with the different molds and bacteria has been an interesting adventure in microbiology!

~Tonia said...

We always love visiting with you, your goaties And sampling cheese!!
I have to agree this Blue cheese is pretty and GOOD!

Feral Female said...

My hubby loves blue cheese dressing and I bet he would just die to taste some home-made! Looks very tasty!