Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Goat Milk Cheese - Brie

Brie ... also known as the French "King of Cheeses" ... is one of my most favorite cheeses. I love the soft, gooey, creamy, buttery, earthy tasting cheese just under the rind. Oh yes ... you eat the rind too.

I made goat milk Brie for the first time this fall. It is ripe and ready to eat now. I have been anticipating this day for many weeks! I cut into one of the Brie wheels today..... Mmmmm...

In the photo below you can see the perfectly ripened cheese! It tastes SO good. It has a wonderfully complex flavor. When you first taste it ... you taste the earthy flavor of the cheese ripened by the white molds ... and then as the flavor develops on your tongue ... it is a mild cheese with a sort of buttery flavor. It is absolutely delicious!

My Goat Milk Brie - close up

When I made the Brie cheeses earlier this fall, I followed the recipe very closely. The timing and temperature are very important to develop the correct pH for the white mold to grow on the cheese rind. Brie is a cheese with a high moisture content and a higher pH than most cheeses. It has to be handled carefully during the making and ripening processes.

I inoculated the cheese milk during the making process with a mixture of penicillium candidium and geotrichum candidium for the white mold to grow on the rind. This is a cheese that ripens from the rind to the interior of the cheese during the aging process. Some cheeses, such as cheddar, ripen from the inside out.

It took a few days at room temperature for the fresh made cheeses to get all white and fuzzy ... and then the fuzzy mold smoothed out.

After wrapping the Brie cheeses in a special cheese paper, they went into the large fridge/cooler to age at around 50* for several weeks. I flipped them over regularly to keep the moisture balanced in the cheese.

The photo below shows one of the Brie cheeses after being wrapped in the special cheese paper for a few days. The cheese paper has an absorbent layer that goes next to the cheese and a plastic layer that goes on the outside. It is breathable so the microorganisms in the cheese and the white molds can have the oxygen they need to grow. The special cheese paper also keeps the cheese from drying out during aging.

Goat milk Brie during aging

You can see a sort of red/brown color on the rind of the Brie. This is from a bacteria called brevibacterium linens. This gives an added flavor component to the Brie cheese. You see this red bacteria most often on the rind of munster cheese.

I made 4 of the 5" wheels and 3 small ones that are about 4oz each. I call these Baby Brie. You can see the white mold is still a little fuzzy on these Brie cheeses in the photo below.

Baby Brie

My Goat Milk Brie

I am very VERY pleased with my first attempt at making Brie cheese. I just wish I had made more of it before drying the goats off in preparation for kidding season! This is definitely a cheese that I will be making a lot of this spring when the does have their kids and I have lots of milk again!

8 comments:

~Tonia said...

And again... Mmmmmm... Lol

Linda said...

That sounds good!

goatmilker said...

That looks so yummy!

Feral Female said...

That looks SO good!

Mrs. Bee said...

Hello and thank you for stopping by the cottage!
Your cheeses make my mouth water! I hope to be getting my tiny herd a bit organised and begin to have some kids in the next few years..I would love to try my hand at making goat cheese as well as soap :)

Brenda said...

Welcome to my blog, Mrs. Bee! I've enjoyed reading your blog and decided to join to I could visit your cottage more often :)

When the girls freshen this spring, I'll be posting how I make some of my favorite cheeses. I've decided to concentrate on cheese and not make soap. I have a friend that makes soap with her goat's milk and it is wonderful. It makes your skin feel soft.

red_rose_lady1998 said...

When my husband passed away a year ago April, Brenda invited me to come live with her. I enjoyed the cheeses and yogurt she was making. She told me that she "Had a Dream" of a cheese factory and increasing her dairy goat herd. The amazingly wonderful flavors of her cheeses and yogurts, convinced me, and "I Beleived" in her, and am glad that I was able to help out, to make her dream come true.
She has an amazing gifted talent of creating and perfecting her goat milk products. This Brea is as good in taste and flavor, as her photos of it. My doctor has cancer and told me that he uses her cheeses and yogurts because they are very healthy for him. So I am a true beleiver in all her things she makes and drinking the good tasting goat's milk. They do not get brush to eat, but only sweet feed and the best alfalfa hay, that makes the good flavor of their milk.
I love the taste and flavor of all her cheeses. She recommended that I eat a cup of yogurt each day for my motabalism, which I have done for quiet some time now. I have noticed a big difference in my health already.
Her NY style cheese cakes are just out of this world. When she started making them this past summer, I fell in love with them. I limited myself to one piece of cheese cake per day though, which was hard to do because of my sweet tooth, but it became my favorite nightly dessert. I love all the different flavors of them.
I hope next summer that you all get a chance to sample her talent and art of making them. You will be pleasantly surprised and pleased, as I am.
Great success to you Brenda, keep up the good work.
I love you,
Your Mother, Marjorie

Mrs. Bee said...

Ahhh...your mom made me cry...she's so sweet!! Give her a hug for me...she sounds like your biggest fan!!
I sent you an email...would LOVE to try your cheese!!
Thank you for coming by the cottage..you are welcome anytime...have a blessed and lovely New Year!