Thursday, December 17, 2009

The "New" Farm

During the Summer of 2008 we were on the search for a farm that would help us go from making cheese in the kitchen to a goat cheese business that could eventually provide the income for our household.

Yes ... I know it was a big step and a big dream. I've always believed in dreaming big and then taking the steps to make the dream happen.

The criteria for the new farm was that it had to have a decent house to live in ... shelter for the goats ... pasture for the horses ... a milking parlor ... a good clean water supply to meet state milk board regulations .... a convenient location ... and be within our price range.

We looked at several farms and finally purchased a farm in Laclede county that was only about 30 minutes from our old farm. It met our criteria for the new farm.

Front of the "New" house

It has 22 acres with a large fresh water spring for the horses, a house and barn that was built in 1940 ... okay so the farm is "new" to us ... but definitely not a new farm. The house and barn are built from rough cut oak. Their framework is very solid. The house has been completely remodeled inside and is very nice. My office is in the room behind the three windows in the roof line.

Back of the "new" house

It's only a short walk from the back steps to the barn and milking parlor.

The milking parlor and attached tank room were built more that 20 years ago and probably hadn't been milked in for more than 15 years. It was constructed for milking 4 cows on each side of the parlor. Needless to say we have done a LOT of remodeling to the milking parlor and tank room to make them fit the goats and the tank room into the cheese processing room. (More on these buildings in future posts!)

The old barn ... When I first saw it ... I thought ... Oh My! But, when I took a close look at it, I realized that the solid oak framework was solid. It only need a face lift and some tin put back on the roof.

The back of the barn just after we moved to the farm


The front of the barn after we had started working on it.

We tore out the entire front of the barn and rebuilt it from the concrete up. The side of the barn also got the new white metal on it.

Yes, that's me on the ladder securing some of the roof tin!

The barn gives plenty of shelter space for the goats and room for hay storage in the large loft.

It has been a lot of work restoring the old barn and other structures here on the new farm, but it's all coming together.

3 comments:

Feral Female said...

Hi! What a wonderful blog you have, and some beautiful goats as well! Hollie had a great udder last year by the looks. My daughter is a LaMancha fan and was just tickled at your pics from last kidding season.

Brenda said...

Thank you! I think the LaManchas are my favorites. But, don't tell my Nubians! Actually ... they're all very special to me.

I've been enjoying your blog too!

~Tonia said...

I love your house. I really like it when people remodel older buildings instead of knocking them down and building new.
I said I would never have those funny looking goats with no ears But Nubians are still my favorite!