Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Observations from the Goat Pen …


Having goats around is like having a bunch of 3-year- olds around….


They a
lways think it's time for eating and they’re not the best mannered....







If you walk into the pen with a pail of feed… you won't survive, and neither will your pail, even when it's empty since they all have to know what's in it....






They enjoy burping in your face, and chewing on your hair....




If you're late for chores, they will protest very loudly, and then totally forgive you as soon as they are fed and milked....



Throw a bale of hay in the pen, and it MUST be climbed upon by all of them....



If you need to fix something in their pen, you WILL have plenty of help! In the process of fixing anything, you may have to hunt for your screwdriver, or the bag you HAD the screws in. And any sheet of paper… well, good luck keeping that in one piece!



If something’s loose, they will find it and play with it until it's really loose or broken, and then they can HELP you fix it--(see above note)...


If there's baby chicks in the barn ... Holly will help them to the top of the fence!



If it makes noise, such as a hanging chain, let’s make noise ALL afternoon!

During milking… if one of them ... Lilah for example! ... thinks you're not getting their group into the parlor fast enough, they will knock on the parlor door, saying hurry up in there, it’s our turn already!

But when all is said and done, they will come up and want a scratch, a cuddle, and a nose snuggle just the same as any three year old wants mom's affection.


You've got a love 'em!

6 comments:

Feral Female said...

I loved the pic`s of your '3 year olds' and the requisite goat barn chickens!

~Tonia said...

When Kyle is working on the barn or the fence the girls and I get to make sure the goats dont tote everything off. Of course Sunshine Loves Kyle and well come up and rub on his leg while he is working which just complicates things!Lol
After I empty the bucket everyone has to come and stick their head in it at least once to make sure I dumped all the grain!!
I love the chick pic! That is cute!

Brenda said...

I thought my friends with goats could relate to some of the "observations" from the goat pen! LOL! They're so much fun.

goatgirl said...

Oh I can relate all right. Merry Christmas.

Rebecca of Sunny Morning Farm said...

Oh Brenda I just found you thru Terri's blog at Our Crazy Farm! I will be back for more later in the day. I have to say that as a goat farmer myself........HA HA HA HA I can't call myself a goat farmer now after seeing how many you have!!!.....but I am so impressed with your setup and girlfriend your cheeses make me want to cry. Why did I not find you before my goat went dry?

I can't wait for your kidding season to begin. I would come out and help you if I could!! I will need lots and lots of pictures!!!

I can't wait to read more!! Have a wonderful day!

Brenda said...

Rebecca - Welcome to my blog! I'm very glad you've enjoyed the posts. I will be posting lots of pictures of this kidding season and of making the cheeses as soon as we're milking again!