Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Good Goatie Friendship

I had a very special offer yesterday.  It was from Tonia (at The Simple Life).  She knew that I've been working hard to get the kidding pens ready for this year's kidding season ... and running out of time with due dates so close!

With the extreme cold weather we've had over the past week or so ... working out in the barn was unbearable.  Just breathing the air was unbearable.  Going out to do the regular chores was about all the time I could stand to be out in the frigid air.

Tonia had been experiencing some cabin fever since the weather and snow had her stuck at home.  Since the weather has warmed up enough for some of the snow to melt  and she was able to get out of her drive way again ... she offered to come over to help me work on getting the kidding pens ready!  My immediate answer was YES and THANK YOU!

You see, I hadn't cleaned the kidding pens out after last year's kidding season was finished.  There was always something else that seemed more urgent at the time ... like milking and making cheeses and general work around the farm.  Anyway, I had a whole year to get them ready ... right?   Well... we're down to only one week ...yes, one week... until the first of 48 does are due!  I've been close to panic for the past several days since they're not ready yet.

I worked on them on Saturday and got some close to being ready and then worked more yesterday on them and took 4 large wheel barrow loads of last year's bedding out to the garden.  With Tonia's help we took 11 more large wheel barrow loads out to the garden.  I ran the pitch fork and Tonia ran the wheel barrow.  What a team!


Last year's bedding from the kidding pens!

The kidding pens are very close to being ready to lime and put new bedding into.  I should be able to finish several of them tomorrow!  I'll soon have 10 pens ready for this year's kidding season.

It was a great day ... with great help ...  great conversation ... and great friendship!  THANK YOU so much Tonia!

11 comments:

~Tonia said...

You are VERY Welcome!! I am a fellow procrastinator so I understand! I am glad I could be of help.. I got my exercise for the day!Cant wait to see those babies!!

Spring Lake Farm said...

That is awesome! I have met and been exposed to some wonderful friends and people through blogging!

Tonia - You rock!

Sandy

Feral Female said...

There really is nothing like a good goatie buddy to lend a hand! Way to go Tonia!

Barbara said...

You both are so lucky to have a friend so close to be of a helping hand and to visit. I am very happy for both of you to have such a wonderful friendship. I have such friends but they live two hours away. We moved her to our little homestead 2 years ago and I have not make that kind of friend as of yet.

I am preparing to get some goats and could you do a post explaining the lime. I still need to finish fencing before I get the goats but appreciate any knowledge shared buy other goat lovers.

Brenda said...

Barbra, It's the kind of lime you would use on your garden if it is acidic and needs to be more alkline. I use the lime to kill any germs or bacteria that may be living in the ground. It's been used for this purpose also for a long time. My grandmother used it out in their outhouse to kill oder and germs.

Since I used these kidding pens last year, there may be bacteria still hanging around in the soil. I want to give the pens a clean fresh start. You do have to be careful not to apply it too heavely though and be sure it is covered completely by fresh beding ... because if it comes in contact with the soft part of the goat's feet, it can burn them. So, I do a light dustiing with the lime and scratch it down into the soil before addng the new bedding. I'll take photos of this as I do it in the next couple of days and post it so you can see the process.

OurCrazyFarm said...

Good for you! And having a friend to help makes it all the more fun! Cleaning kidding stalls is on my to-do list this week as well as I am expecting our first doe (of a meager 6:)) to kid in a few days. Exciting! I love kidding season!

Rebecca of Sunny Morning Farm said...

Yes Tonia You Rock!!!!!!!! What a great way to knock out a lot of hard work!!! I have a friend like that who is several years older than I am but she will come over and help me do anything...she can work my socks off. It's so much more fun in tandem!!!!!!

48 does...my oh my!! Like I said I would come help but......

Linda said...

Oh what a good friend Tonia is!

Hey that means cheese making time again, huh? *big smile*

Brenda said...

Yes, It's almost time to make cheese again! I'm excited about the new kids and the new cheeses!

Brenda said...

Once again - Tonia and her daughters came to the rescue this evening. I needed help moving one of my VERY pregnant does that's having a hard time walking around. It took all of us, but we got her safely into a freshly cleaned and bedded kidding pen. Tonia - Thank you!!

Jennifer said...

Good goat friends can't be beat! That stuff makes wonderful compost. I don't bother with turning it or anything, just pile it up in an out of the way spot and let it sit for 6 months (maybe a bit more depending on weather) or until it looks like dirt again.