Monday, February 1, 2010

Kids in the Nursery

After the kids have spent 2 or 3 days in the kidding pens with their mommas ... it's time for the does to go back out to the big goat pens so they can come into the milking parlor for milking.  That means it's time for the kids to come into the Kid Nursery (see the earlier post on "The New Kid Nursery" for more details on making the Kid Nursery.)

 
Kids in the Nursery

One day last week  Tonia and her daughters came over to play with the new kids and to help me move the 14 babies that were ready to go to the kid nursery.  Here's Tonia's oldest daughter helping put the kids in their new home.

Helping with the kids

The kids are comfortable in their new home in our basement.  It's fun to watch them jump and play.

 
 Kids playing

When they're all worn out they snuggle up for a nap.

  
 Nap time

When the kids are moved to the nursery ... Mom feeds them their bottles of fresh warm goats milk.  Right now she's feeding them 3 times a day.  

At first, it's pretty hard to get some of the kids to take a bottle.  The first few days it took her about 2 hours for each feeding to feed the 24 kids in the nursery.  Some of them took to the bottle quickly and then there were those that were more stubborn!  I help with the  feedings every chance I get.  But, Mom's pretty good at it.

  
 Mom bottle feeding

Sometimes it fun to just snuggle for a while!

  
 Snuggle time

After they have all learned to take the bottle really good ... they come to Mom at the front of their pen and take the bottle quickly.  This saves Mom's back from having to reach in to lift each one out of the pen for each feeding!

  
 Feeding

They're all growing so fast!  It won't be long before several of them get to go to their new homes.  We like to be sure they have a good start and are taking the bottle really good before letting them go. 

14 comments:

goatgirl said...

Can I please have your mom? Please?

Marg said...

Hey Goatgirl, I might take you up on that offer, if you live in a warm part of the country. That is considering Brenda wouldn't mind taking on all these babies herself. lol
Mother

Barbara said...

All of the kids are so precious. You are very lucky to have such a wonderful Mother and wonderful friend, Tonia to help out.

goatmilker said...

That is so cool you have your mom to help. What a blessing she is. Have a great day Rebekah.

Feral Female said...

What great pictures! And what a great mom! =)

goatgirl said...

Marg, I would like to say I live in Hawaii but I don't. How do you feel about rain?

Rebecca of Sunny Morning Farm said...

Brenda, you need the bumper sticker that says "Have you hugged your Mom who feeds your baby goats today?"

I really need to get out your way and get me some cuddling time in too!!!!!

Rebecca of Sunny Morning Farm said...

With your mom and the baby goats!!!!

Marg said...

Thank you all for the kind words.
Goatlady, I do like the rain just not the snow, although I love to set inside and watch the lovely snow falling and feeding the lovely little birds. I have lived a year in Washington and 5 years in California, but home kept beckoning to me. So here I am back to where I grew up.
I went down to feed the babies this morning, and Myrtle's girl Caramel had ann adventurous night. She had somehow crawled thru the narrow fence and wiggled her way out. She was laying next her pen this morning.
Mother

Linda said...

Your Mom's a gem Brenda! (Yea Mom!)

Brenda said...

Yes, I agree! Mom is special. She's almost 72 years old and still willing to push through her aches and pains to help here on the farm by taking care of the baby goats. She makes it possible to give each of them individual attention and care.

I check on them frequently, but am more involved in the care of their mommas. After kidding health care of the does and making sure their udders are healthy is a big concern for me. At the same time we're still on labor watch for many of the does yet to deliver. It's definitely a team effort!

goatgirl said...

Funny thing Marg, we took a trip to Branson a few years ago and all my husband talks about is moving to Missouri. We loved it.

Kim said...

Oh My Goodness! How stinkin' cute are your babies! What a wonderful mama you have, but then again, if I were close I would be more than willing to help feed those babies!

Good Goats said...

You've been so busy, Brenda!! Congratulations on all the kids!