Friday, January 7, 2011

Angel - A New Arival

No ... not a new baby arrival!  The pregnant does that are past due are refusing to deliver babies at this time.  I think they're waiting until there's at least 30 due at the same time!  ** deep sigh **

However ... while we wait for the pregnant does to decide to deliver kids .... I wanted to tell you about how Angel came to live at the farm.

The first thing that you'll notice about Angel is that she's a Boer or Boer cross goat ... not a dairy goat.  The next things you'll probably notice is that she has horns and how extremely skinny she is.

 Angel says - Hi

These photos were taken last Friday when she had been at the farm for 3 weeks already.  You can see from this photo how narrow she is.  When she arrived 4 weeks ago on December 10th ... she was simply a walking/limping skeleton covered by skin and a rough coat.   She has put on a lot of weight in the time she's been here.

Very thin

She won't put weight on her right front foot.  I think the break is in the foot area.  I have been able to rub the rest of her shoulder and leg.  But, she still won't let me touch her foot.

 Broken foot

Here's the story of how Angel arrived here on December 10, 2010.......

It was after dark and I was out in the barn doing the evening feeding chores.  Even though I'm not milking at this time, I bring each group of does into the milk parlor for their evening grain.  This insures that each of them gets their fair share and keeps them into the habit of coming into the milking parlor each day. While they're out of their pens eating their grain, I take the opportunity to put out fresh hay for them. This task is much easier with them out of the pens/yards.  They give me a lot of help when I feed hay with them in the pen/yards!

I had the first group of does fed and back into their large pen.  I had just taken the second group of does down the hall to the milk parlor for their dinner and was putting hay into their feeders.  I heard the door open between the processing room and the milk parlor and then Mom calling for me.  I answered her and she came on into the barn to find me.  She asked me if I had a goat out.  I told her that I didn't think so, but went to check on the group that had just came back from the milk parlor and on the last group that hadn't been fed yet.

There wasn't any gates open on the back sides of their yards, but I did see a goat out behind one of the yards.  I told Mom that there was a Boer goat out there and it looked like a young one!

I went out around the barn to see if I could catch her.  She was WILD and would not be caught.  I had a bucket with a little grain in it so I shook it to get her attention.  She came to the grain when I set the bucket down, but wouldn't let me get close enough to grab her by the horn.

I finally got her cornered between two of the outside goat yards.  I had Mom go around the other side of the barn so she wouldn't run back out to the highway.  Since I couldn't catch her, I had to think of another way to rescue this young goat.

One of the goat yards we had her cornered between belonged to the group of goats that were in the milk parlor eating their grain.  So .... I had Mom open the big gate to that yard and I pushed her through the gate.  Mom closed the gate while I ran inside to close the gate inside the barn to that pen.

I opened one of the kidding pens just around from the big goat pen.  I guided her into the kidding pen and closed the gate!  Whew!  She was safely inside.  She was scared, but at least she was safe.

I asked Mom how she had seen this goat out there in the dark.  She told me that she had been outside with my little house dog while he relieved himself.  She saw this goat loping down the driveway from the highway toward the barn and came to tell me. I'm glad she was out there and my little dog barked at the goat running by to let her know it was there.

I put water, feed, and hay in the pen for her and let her settle down.  The next morning I gave her some wormer, a BoSe shot, a copper bolus, and some B-Complex.  And, then just let her rest and enjoy fresh food and water for a couple of days.  I posted a "Found Goat" sign at the local store and spread the word that a goat had showed up at my farm, but got no response from anyone about losing a goat.

It took a few days of  gentle care and offering her food from my hand for her to warm up to me.  She now loves to be scratched and loves to snuggle.

 Loving the attention

In the photo above you can see a knot on her right shoulder.  It feels like her shoulder was broken too since it has this knot and just doesn't feel like the other one.  She's not tender in that area though.

I think she was on her own for quite a while.  Early last fall a neighbor who has a large cow dairy a few miles down the road came by asking me if I had lost a goat.  I checked to be sure they were all here.  And, told him that I wasn't missing any.  He said there was a single goat grazing out in his hay fields.  He asked if I'd take the goat if he could catch it.  I told him to bring it on over and I'd take care of it until we could find where it belonged.  He never came back with it so I assumed that it had either gone back home or he couldn't catch it.

It bothered me that there was a lone goat out there by itself.  We have a big coyote problem around here ... I hear them yipping almost every night. I was really concerned that the goat wouldn't last long out there by itself.  Every time I'd think about it, I'd wonder if it was okay and say a prayer for that goat all alone out there.

Since there hasn't been any response to my inquires about anyone losing a goat and how extremely skinny she was when she arrived ... I think she is the goat my neighbor down the road had seen out in the hay fields several months ago.  I think the angels protected her and guided her here where she'd be safe and have a new family.

I'll have to take her horns off and let her foot finish healing before putting her out with one of the goat groups, but she has a home here now.  She is a very sweet girl and I love her lots!

Angel - My new snuggle bug

11 comments:

MilkMaid09 said...

Good job. We had a lone hereford heifer show up a couple of years ago just like your Angel. We put out ads and asked around, but no one claimed her. We called her Manna and I guess it's common law that once an animal's feed bill equals that of it's value, it's yours. Goats are a pleasure whether they're for business or as pets, aren't they?

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

Poor thing, she's had it rough but at least Angel eventually made it to your house. Hope her foot/shoulder improves.

Marg said...

When Skeeter, her little rat terrior looked out that way in the dark and barked, as I am always on the look out for his safety when I take him outside, because of the coyotes and the big birds that fly over screaming that they are very hungry....I looked out to the driveway where he was looking, and I saw the doe running very fast, as if something was chasing it. At first I thought it must be a deer as it was going so fast, but was a lighter color than the fawn color of a deer. Then I thought it must be a goat.
Not knowing what might be chasing it, I waited a few minutes before trusting to go out to the barn at night to tell Brenda what I saw. Especially with all the big varmits out at night.
Just a month ago, I heard a loud noise which sounded like the mountain lion that went thru my back yard down at Hollister every night for a year. I only got to see that one just one time back then, about 10 years ago, and it was just before daylight at dawn. It was so loud screaming, that my little house dog could hear it way up in the mountain top long before it got to my baack yard and would start barking.
So when it came near daylight for once, I opened the back door and watched it come down off the hill and I mocked it's voice, and it sat for a moment and looked at me and didn't think I favored it at all, so it went on down to the little water branch to get a drink and was gone. It had a blue shone to it in the early dawn. So I don't know if it was a black panther or a normal mountain lion. I wasn't scared as I am a nature lover, and the doggie yard was betweem it and me, which was about 10 foot between us. I didn't have my door open more than a foot since I figured it could leap over that 4' fence. But I was glad I finally got to see it, after trying to get just a glimps of it for a year each night.

Anyway back to the pretty goat looking for a new home, we decided to name her Angel the next day because the Angels were watching over her and led her here where she is welcomed and loved. ;-)
Mother

Texan said...

Bless your heart and hers. Poor thing. Sounds like she has really been thru the mill. I think it was very wise you gave her shots right away and wormed her and have her penned up from the rest of your herd. I know she must feel like she hit the jack pot! Poor thing. She will probably become the biggest pet you have.

I have always found with rescue dogs, they are the most loving animals, they know the other side of the coin so to speak and I truly believe they appreciate a good life a bit more because they they know that other side...

Glad she found you and your Mom found her! Good job girly!

~Tonia said...

Pssst its Boer Not Boar....
Having met Angel in person so glad she found you and she looked even better today from the last time I saw her!

Brenda said...

@ Tonia - LOL! Okay - you got me! I know dairy breeds, but not the meat breeds. I'll edit the spelling of her breed! :D

I'm so glad you and your girls came by today. I sure wish the does would have cooperated with some kidding!

OurCrazyFarm said...

Good for you Brenda! I was so excited thinking that your babies were starting to arrive:) What a great gift! God gives to us in mysterious ways sometimes! Sounds like you are doing a great job taking care of her. How will you remove the horns? We have a doe that needs her horns removed also. We had used the banding method on a doe a couple of years ago and I am not sure how else to have them removed. Is the lump on her shoulder CL? That is a usual place for it to appear. Hope those other does hurry up and cooperate for you!

Brenda said...

@ Terri - The knot on her shoulder isn't CL. It's hard like bone and feels like there is a separation in the bones. The left shoulder is smooth in that area, but the right one has that big knot and an empty space below it. Tonia thought it might be dislocated. I'm going have the Vet check it when I have the horns taken off. Angel can lift the leg and put some weight on it when she's trying to move fast, but you can tell it really hurts her foot.

On a goat her size and with horns that are not too big like hers ... I usually just use a de-horning tool and chop them off. I use blood stop powder to control any bleeding. But, with her stressed condition, I don't want to risk the stress of chopping her horns off.

I've tried the banding on some goats in the past and it just didn't work very well. I had one develop a very bad infection under the horn base during the banding time that made his entire head swell up. I had to treat it with a lot of antibiotics to conquer the infection. It's really hard to get the bands down low enough to completely remove the entire horn and it's growth band just below the hair line.

I'm going to take Angel to Tonia's Vet to have her horns taken off with a surgical saw. The Vet will sedate her a little to keep the stress down. She's really quick with the procedure she uses. When the horns are off, she glues gauze over the horn holes to protect them during the healing process.

And This Little Pig said...

Brenda, you are a saint. It is awful when you see any animal neglected, and isn't it amazing what food and a little TLC will do. I think your middle name may also be Angel, and she is truly in great hands.

Have a suggestion, not sure what a BoSe shot has in it, but when we (Australia) have an animal that is run down, particularly in winter, when there is less sunshine, we give then a dose of Cod Liver Oil, which is for Vit D [AD&E}. Our kids get it in their bottles once a month, and the milking does also get it. Some hate, some will chase you for it, and these are obviously the ones who really need it.

One of our Nubians had quins this year, yep five of the little darlings. Shyla carried all to term, all alive, she kidded poor, as she put everything into them. She is also a heavy milking doe, she was put on Incremin with Iron, a children's health supplement (cherry flavour). You only had to hold up the syringe, and she would come out of the herd, even walk away from the hayrack, and would literally suck it out of the syringe.

Just a suggestion. LiBBiE in Oz

Feral Female said...

Ah bless you Brenda for taking that poor girl in. She looks so poor but I know you`ll bring her back.

Brenda said...

Thank you all for your very kind comments. I'm sure if Angel had come to your farm that you would have rescued her too!

@ Libbie - Thank you for the suggestion of the Cod Liver Oil. I don't have any, but I do have a bottle of vitimin A & D. I gave her some this morning. She wasn't too thrilled with me about it, but it's for her good. The BoSe has Selenium and vitamin E in it. We live in a Selenium deficient area and supplementing with it prevents all kinds of health issues.

No signs of labor from the pregnant does yet! I think they're waiting for the Quarter Moon to influence their birthing!