Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Bottle-Baby Doelings Ready for New Homes

Even though we fall in love with each and every baby goat born here on the dairy farm, we can't keep them all.  I have to select those who will be kept for expansion and replacement of the milking herd.  And, put the rest of the doelings up for sale to go on to new homes.

 Doelings for sale


 Doelings for sale
Doelings for sale - napping


I've put a lot of thought, planning, and effort into my breeding program.  I've bred for high milk production and gentle nature in my dairy goats.  There are times that I have intentionally crossbred my LaMancha bucks with my Nubian does.  For those does that are either full blooded or Pure Bred, I do breed to a Pure Bred buck though.  And, then there are times they have chosen to breed through the fence without my permission!  ( Click here for the story of Holly and Latte's forbidden love kids )

The sires of the doelings I have for sale are shown below.


 Latte - Nubian Buck
Nate - LaMancha Buck

Here are the Bottle-Baby Doelings that are ready for their new homes shown with their mommas and a little information about them.  The babies have been disbudded and are trained to the bottle.

Holly delivered triplets this year on 1/11/11.  She is an ADGA registered Pureblood LaMancha and gives a little more than a gallon of milk each day. She chose to breed through the pipe fence with Latte (Nubian buck).  So her kids are crossbred this year.  I have 2 of her doelings available.


 Holly's babies

Oreo delivered twins this year on 1/12/11.  She is Nubian/LaMancha cross and gives a little more than a gallon of milk each day. She has one doeling from Nate (LaMancha) and one doeling from Latte (Nubian).  So her kids are 75% LaMancha and 50% LaMancha this year.  I have 2 of her doelings available.

 Oreo and her 2 doelings

Opal delivered twin doelings on 1/12/11.  She is Nubian/LaMancha cross and gives a little more than a gallon of milk each day. Her twins are sired by Nate (LaMancha).  So her kids are 75% LaMancha.  I have 2 of her doelings available.

 Opal and her 2 doelings

Kit delivered quads this year (2 bucklings and 2 doelings) on 1/14/11.  She is Alpine/LaMancha cross and gives a gallon of milk each day. Her quads are sired by Nate (LaMancha).  So her kids are 75% LaMancha.  I have 1 of her doelings available. (The cream colored one in the back.)

 Kit and her quads

Chloie delivered twins on 1/16/11. (1 doe, 1 buck)  She is Nubian/LaMancha cross and gives a gallon of milk each day. Her twins are sired by Nate (LaMancha).  So her kids are 75% LaMancha.  I have 1 of her doelings available.

 Chloie and her twins

SweetPea delivered twin doelings on 1/18/11.  She is full blood LaMancha and gives about half a gallon of milk each day. Her twins are sired by Nate (LaMancha).  So her kids are full blood LaMancha.  I have 2 of her doelings available.
 SweetPea and her twins

Ci-Ce delivered triplet doelings on 1/21/11.  She is full blood LaMancha and gives a gallon of milk each day. Her triplets are sired by Nate (LaMancha).  So her kids are full blood LaMancha.  I have 3 of her doelings available.

Ci-Ce and her triplet doelings

I hope to find good homes locally for these doelings.  They are being listed on local web classifieds. We'll be sad for them to go, but happy that they will bring joy to their new homes.

....................................................................................................

20 comments:

matty said...

This is the hardest part for me -- selling my babies. But, how could one keep 'em all!??

~Tonia said...

Note to self!....just say no just say no just say no
I hope you find good homes for them! They are all just adorable of course!

MilkMaid09 said...

Good luck finding homes for your babies. This is something that I'm used to with the calves, but they aren't technically mine. It'll be harder with my goats I think. . .

Sandy said...

I sure wish we lived closer! I'm a little afraid that our new buckling, Abraham, might be a dud! Shhhh, don't tell him I said that. I'm hoping that with the move and getting settled AND the fact that he is still so young that maybe we'll have some late spring kids (April or May) but by the looks of things I'm not holding my breath. ;) Those little LaMancha ears just crack me up!

goatgirl said...

If only I were closer I'd take one of Sweet Pea's doelings.
In a way it is hard to sell my babies but I've met the nicest people when I sell them a goat. As long as they get a good home I'm all about sharing the love.
These girls are lovely, they will go fast.

goatgirl said...

Note to Tonia, My those doelings of Sweet Pea are lovely:):) Especially that one with the white splash.

Brenda said...

@ goatgirl - You are funny! Tonia has been tempted to slip baby goats into her van while I'm not looking!

I have met some wonderful people when they come to purchase the baby goats. I especially like the repeat customers! (Amanda) :D

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Wow, Brenda - among all the other wonderful things you are able to do, it is clear you are an extraordinary record keeper, too! I'm trying to imagine keeping track of all the details, breeding dates, sires, cross-breeding info, etc. and the prospect just boggles my mind!

Brenda said...

Thank you, Danni! I have created a wonderful spreadsheet that helps me keep track of all the details. Taking pictures and blogging helps me remember too. I had to look back at my photos to remember who one of the babies belonged to just yesterday. The technology tools make it much easier to keep it all straight.

Verde Farm said...

They are all so beautiful. I want to add goats to our farm this spring but I don’t know much about them yet. They would be more for pets and children. What kind do you suggest?

Brenda said...

@ Verde Farm - If your purpose for the goats is for pets and companionship, you might consider bottle baby Wethers (castrated bucks) from a goat dairy. Wethers make wonderful pets and don't get "bucky" since they've been castrated. I've been giving my little unregistered bucks to good homes. I usually band them before they leave here, if I know for sure they don't want them as breeding bucks. It's a great way for them to have a useful purpose.

raziel133 said...

Hi Breda, I am the friend of Robins who wants a nubin doe or doeling. My email is raziel133@yahoo.com If you email me you number i could call you and we could talk.Maybe I get get a new sweete little goat to love.

euthymic said...

Two line haiku for Granny's best:

Good
Goats


Mocha Barney, Ashley Pumpernickel, Winniechurchill

Texan said...

hey girly I know you have your hands full right now...wanted to let you know, you won the Kid Coat Give Away on my blog :O). I started to just make it up with Granny's Best monogrammed on the back but thought I better check with you to see if that is what you want on it! sprig2@aol.com. When you get time email me your snail mail address. :O) Congrats Sandy

Claire the Shepherdess said...

Oh they are all soooo cute! I wish I were closer. Even so it's tough to get ruminants across the border to Canada. How is Oreo having one doeling from each buck? Were they AI? I'm confused...!

Brenda said...

@ Clare - Welcome to Granny's Best! Oreo and Holly live in the LaMancha pen that is separated from the Nubian pen by a pipe panel fence. Latte is the Nubian buck who was in the Nubian pen having his way with his Nubian girls. Nate (the LaMancha buck) was in the LaMancha pen servicing his LaMancha does. Well ... It became obvious from the kids born what Holly and Oreo had backed up to the fence and Latte bred them through the fence. Nate also bred Oreo ... so one of her twins looks like Nate and one looks like Latte. Those silly girls!

goatlady said...

What are the prices on any or all of these babies?

Nezzy said...

Awwww, now I just love that polka~dot goat!!! I see ya have some little Oreo goaties too. I could easily fall for goats, their much cuter than wild~eyed cattle!! :o)

God bless and have a fantastic weekend sweetie.

Brenda said...

Thanks, Nezzy! Wild-eyed cattle is one of the reasons I chose to work with goats! If a goat butts you or steps on your toes, they're not going to do as much damage as an angry cow! I've worked with enough cows ... it goats for me!

Juli said...

Adorable! and wonderful colorings.