Monday, January 3, 2011

Breakfast with the Girls

The "Girls" and I would like to invite you to join them for breakfast this morning.  Since none of them are milking at this time ... they get a nice soft grass mix hay for breakfast.  They get their regular grain ration and more hay for dinner.  Come on in and pull up a chair ...

Here's Lilah's pen enjoying their breakfast.  From left to right (around the back) there's Myrtle, Nellie, Valery, Emily, Liz, and Lilah in the front. They have a couple of chickens visiting today too.


You may notice that some of them are getting big bellies and making udders.  That's not from eating too much hay.  They're all pregnant and due to deliver this year's kids in just a few days.

 From top to bottom ...Emily, Liz, and Lilah

A rear view of Lilah

Rear views of Liz and Emily

 Valery, Maggie, and Sasha eating at the outside hay feeder

Let's go on over to NaNa's pen.... These girls prefer to eat at their outside feeder instead of the inside ones.  

Here we have (starting at the separation on the front and going clockwise) Fawn, Oreo, Lady, Chloie, Lucy, and NaNa.

 A different angle of this group shows Fawn (in the center front, then going clockwise) Oreo, Lady, Mocha, Chloie, Lucy, and NaNa.

Some of the girls decided to go inside and let the rest of the girls have a less crowded breakfast at the outside feeder.  Here is (left to right) Ci-Ce, Lucy, Sissy, and Holly.


 Sissy says that this is the way to get the best hay!


Lets head on over to visit some of the girls in the 2-Year-Old pen.  Here's (left to right) Trina, Lexie, Mandy, Coco, and JoJo.  Do you see the chicken in their hay rack?  I'll have to check for eggs there tonight!


Let's go see how the Yearling girls eat their breakfast.  Yes, all squeezed in ... pushing to get the best bites of hay!

Here they are (from the back to the front) Melody, Harmony, Almond-Joy, Molly, Willow, Tonya, Nadia, Honey, Jazzie, Daisy, and Ivy.  Most of them are pregnant too.  They're due in late February and March.

Daisy (in the front) and her sister Ivy traded spots in this photo.  Daisy is my lap goat.  She loves to snuggle.

 Here they are from the top.  They're always switching places while they're eating breakfast.  You just never know ... there might be a better bite of hay on the other side.

Even though there's plenty of room for all of them to eat at the hay rack .. they all squeeze into a tiny spot.

Here's Willow, Rosie, and Splashy. They've got enough sense to eat at the other end of the feeder where it's not so crowded.  You can see a couple of the boys from the young buck pen on the other side of the fence at the top.  That's Cappuccino, and Crash.

Sasha found a place to take an after breakfast nap in the dropped hay.  Looks like a good place to rest and ruminate on things for a while.

17 comments:

Dalyn (AKA The Queen of Quite Alot) said...

Looking good!

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

Oh, I love my goats too, can talk about 'em and watch 'em for hours. I sure like the way Sasha is spotted.

matty said...

What pretty gals! We are the exploding goats phase, too! All our gals are with kid and look rather round! Watch. They will all kid on Sunday night when I have an 8 a.m. class on Mondday! LOL Glad to see you posting again! I have missed visiting you!

Barbara said...

Love the pictures. They are all so adorable. Thank you for sharing.

hillybilly annie said...

love the pics as well, what a beautiful bunch u have

Missouri Gal Nicole said...

That poor thing, in the first few photos, looks like she is carrying twins. Hope her labor is smooth sailing!

Jenna said...

So glad to have you back, Brenda!

I'm impressed that you were able to get your girls bred so early...here in MI almost no one was able to get anything earlier than the first of March:( which is unusual for around here...

Looks like you may have some quads?! Those are some BIG girls!! I love big though and am thinking that my Alpine doe from WA is cookin' quite a few for me too. I don't know about you, but I prefer twins verses triplets and quads so that they're not as taxed out for show season.

Have a great day,
Jenna

Brenda said...

Thanks for all the kind comments. It's good to be back writing blog posts. It's been really busy around here the past several months ... still is ... but I wanted to get started posting again before the babies started arriving. I'm excited to share them with you all as soon as they're born.

@ Jenna - I live in southern MO and my does start coming into heat in July. I usually start putting the bucks in on the first of August. I don't want to start kidding any earlier than January. Emily is the only one that has ever given me quads. Most of my does give me triplets or twins though.

@ Matty - you know your does (and mine too) will choose the most inconvenient time to have their kids! I'm watching the phases of the moon as well as the barometric pressure. I've found these things to have an influence on when they kid.

Rebecca of Sunny Morning Farm said...

Oh Brenda, I am going to have to quit my job and go out there and help you cause you are going to be one super busy lady catching all those babies when they drop!!! Your ladies are just beautiful!!!!

I am so glad to see you blogging again! I sure have missed you. I can tell that you have been taking care of goats tho!!!

I'll be coming by in about May to pick up my spotted baby girl ;-)))) LOL!!!

~Tonia said...

Ahh Lilah!! I love that goat! She is So Curvy!LOL Glad to see you are posting again! I think Your Sasha is saying she wants to come and live with me... Or maybe that was Rosie.. haha.. Sasha looks so much like our Dottie in the face..

Brenda said...

@ Becky - It would be a real treat for you to come by in May to pick out one of the spotted baby girls! The yearling Nubian does that will be kidding in March are out of a spotted sire and have been bred to a spotted buck. I think we'll have a lot of spotted babies out of that group!

@ Tonia - I think Sasha and Rosie are both very happy staying with me. I love them both very much! You can come visit them any time you want though. :D

Brenda Leyland said...

Just found your link at Matty's... what fun to come and visit you. And to 'meet' your Girls!

Wishing you safe deliveries and many happy days in 2011 to you and yours!

goatgirl said...

Yeah...you're back! Love seeing the girls.

Rebecca of Sunny Morning Farm said...

Brenda~ You are awesome!! You will never know how awesome!! Love ya girl!!

Brenda said...

@ Becky - You are a sweetheart! :D

MilkMaid09 said...

Glad to see you back.
I gotta say THANK YOU for posting the various shots of your pregnant girls. I've been scrutinizing mine for the slightest sign that they did get bred. I used a young unproven buck and wasn't sure if he got the job done. Your pictures help A TON and even tho my girls aren't nearly that big, they're starting to take on that shape.
Thank you, thank you, thank you (and The Husband thanks you too) for your informative posts!

Brenda said...

@ MilkMaid - You are very welcome. I'm glad to be posting again. I do hope some of my experiences are helpful.