Saturday, January 8, 2011

Kidding has begun

Well, finally!  Liz is the first to deliver babies this season.  She is an easy kidder and needed no assistance.  She was quick about it too.  I was doing the evening feeding when I noticed her starting to push.  I finished taking hay out to one of the feeders and she had a baby pushed out by the time I got back.  She didn't even have a bubble pushed out when I stepped outside with the hay.  It took less than a minute for me to get back inside to check on her.  She already had the baby's face cleared.  I moved her up by Liz's head so she could clean her up. 

 Liz and her firstborn doeling

I sat with her for a while waiting on the other kids to be delivered, but she was busy licking this baby dry.  I rubbed the baby down with a towel and let Liz do the rest.

Liz finishing the cleaning

Since it was taking a while for her to deliver any more, I went ahead and finished feeding.  30 minutes passed so I gave her 2cc of Oxytocin to help her labor be more productive.  It was only a few minutes later and she was pushing again.  This time it was a little boy. He's spotted like his momma and daddy.


 Cleaning her little buckling

The third one was born before she had the second one cleaned off.  The third one is a little doeling and she's spotted too.  Here she is with all 3 of her babies.


 Liz and her triplets

The last one born was the first one to start nursing.  I always make sure they have their belly full of momma's colostrum before I give them 1/2cc of BoSe orally.  I also trim their umbilical cord if it's too long and then dip it in iodine to prevent any bacteria from entering through the cord.

 Mmmm ... momma's milk!

I gave Liz a shot of BoSe (selenium and vita E), wormed her, and gave her a 30cc drench syringe of  CalMagCo calcium supplement.  I also gave her a bucket of warm molasses water.

 She really appreciated the warm molasses water!

Since it's a chilly 20* out there tonight with a wind chill ... I decided to put kid coats on the babies to help them stay warm.  They're also under the heat lamp for warmth.

 Kid coats (the girls in the solid green and the boy in the stripped one)

 Liz thought the kid coats were okay


They've settled in under the heat lamp to snooze for a while.  I came inside to warm up, eat a little dinner and share the exciting news about the new babies before going back out to check the other does for labor.

 Liz and her babies

I'm really glad Kidding Season has begun.  I hope the rest of the does in the kidding pens take the hint and have their kids soon .... It would be really good though if they'd wait till morning.  It's cold out there!!

8 comments:

~Tonia said...

WOooHOOO!! Now we can stop and get a baby fix!!They are so cute! So who is spotted??

Teresa said...

Yippeeee! been waiting for the news, congrats! now on with the rest of them!

Jenna said...

Yay for Liz! What a fantastic birth to start out the kidding season:)

Loving all the goat posts - so glad to have you back again:) I'm getting the kidding fever already and mine aren't due for 8 more weeks.

MilkMaid09 said...

Yay! I've been diligently checking in to see if anyone had popped yet! Glad you posted so quickly so we weren't in suspense for too terribly long, haha. Now the kidding fever is really getting to my head - I had a dream last night that I went out to feed this morning and there were 9 kids on the ground! LOL.

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Awwwwww, babies! Congratulations at last! Wonderful pictures - you take such good care of your goats. Do you have some of those hand and foot warmers you can stick in your pockets and in the toes of your boots? I have a feeling you're going to be spending a lot of time outside the next few days (and nights). :-)

Brenda said...

I have a feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of time out side for the next few days and weeks too! I have my big thick comforter to wrap up in when it's really cold. I depended on it last night to keep me from freezing!

Missouri Gal Nicole said...

I bet Liz feels much better! They are so cute! Congrats!

OurCrazyFarm said...

Congrats on all those beautiful kids! So glad they finally made their appearance! Great pictures and descriptions!