Thursday, February 17, 2011

Full Moon Surprise

The Full Moon seems to have quite an affect on living things.  If you ask people who have worked in nursing homes, you'll get stories about strange things happening during the Full Moon.  And, if you talk to nurses who work in maternity wards, you'll find out that more births happen during the Full Moon.  I know the Full Moon sure affects goats and kidding!

I had put the 4 yearling does who are due to deliver early next into the kidding pen area yesterday.  It's a good thing because Caramel decided the pull of the Full Moon was more than she could resist.  Today is day 144 for her. She's not really due til the 23rd.

But ..... when I got home from making a quick trip into town..... I started to take my things into the house ... but saw the Full Moon rising and decided that I'd better go check on the does in the kidding pens first.  When I stepped into the barn I saw the cutest little kid beside Caramel.  She had just delivered him a few minutes earlier.

 Caramel's little boy

Caramel is Myrtle's yearling doe from last kidding season.  She is Nubian/Alpine.  His sire is Cappuccino.  Cappuccino is Emily's yearling buck from last kidding season.

 Caramel giving her baby boy kisses

He is colored so pretty.  He has gray Moon Spots.  How appropriate for being born on the Full Moon!

Caramel's buckling

Finding that Caramel had kidded was a great surprise .... but not the only surprise of the evening!

...............................................................................................

Angel delivered a buckling while I was in town also.  If you don't know Angel's story and how she came to live here at the farm you can read the full story here

When she arrived on December 10th, she was extremely thin.  When I posted the photos of  her on January 7th, she had gained quite a bit of weight, but was still very thin.

 Angel on January 7th

By the end of January, I was getting suspicious that she may be pregnant.  But, I didn't quite know ... maybe she was just gaining weight and growing a better rumen with all the good food she was getting now.

 Photo taken late January

By the first of February she started making more of an udder.  That's when I knew for sure that she was pregnant!  I was really hoping that she would be in good enough shape to have a healthy baby and stay healthy herself.  I watched her every day ... several times a day.  I had no idea of when her due date would be.

 Udder development



 Here she is just a week ago.  She is still thin, but does have a baby bulge.

Here's her big baby boy born this evening.  It's hard to imagine this big baby was in there.  He is strong and healthy. And, Angel is doing great too.

 Angel's baby boy

 Angel is a really good momma

Angel and her baby

I'm glad both Angel and Caramel delivered their kids without needing any assistance.  They gave me a very nice Full Moon surprise.  Their babies are so pretty.

So, I guess this means that Kidding Round 3 has started!

.....................................................................................

23 comments:

Barbara said...

Congrats on your Full Moon Babies. So Happy Angel is doing well and is enjoying motherhood :)

Simple "T" said...

The full moon was sure out...the dogs were going nuts around the area. But it was so beautiful.

NOT as beautiful as your sweet babies. I just want to kiss those sweet faces.

Your Angel sure has a wonderful blessed home and getting loads of love.

Verde Farm said...

Hi Brenda, another great post. I would love for you to consider linking up with Farm Friend Friday. Would love to share this at the blog party :)

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

2 beautiful full-moon boys.

Texan said...

Glad Angel did so well. :O) If goats think in this manner, I know she must think to herself every day how lucky she is she wound up there at your farm!

Jennifer said...

Awwwww... So Cute!

~Tonia said...

Okay it just dawned on me ANGEL!!! WOW way to go Angel for having that baby no put more weight on You Angel! Looks like she is putting weight on her front leg more?
Caramel's baby boy is beautiful!! Love the Moon spots. I had a boy with those types of spot one time.. He grew out to be so pretty!.. However we was a wether and well you know the fate of wethers here...

the Goodwife said...

Congrats on your babies! In that first picture of Caramel's baby I thought I saw a moon spot, then in the next picture you could really see them. Glad Angel delievered a healthy baby, he's a cutie too!

Tree Hugger said...

Your babies are beautiful!!
Mom's an RN and she use to work in ER and in a nursing home. The hospital would double their staff in ER on full moon and the stories she would tell about the nursing home.
Yep!! Both my sister and myself were full mooners :-}}

Mimi Foxmorton said...

What very huge and beautiful babies! :)

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Gosh, a full moon never fails to surprise, does it?
The new babies are beautiful - and what a happy ending for Angel. So glad she's doing so well, had a healthy baby boy and is such a wonderful mama!

Lori Skoog said...

So many beautiful moms and babies!

Melodie said...

What pretty kids! I am glad everything went great for your "moonshine" goats!

edenhills said...

Beautiful babies! I'm so anxious to start kidding. Glad Angel came to you in time to get a bit of strength before becoming a mom.

Teresa

Feral Female said...

Georgous babes! I`m so happy to see Angel and her kid both seem so good after kidding. Your love and devotion surely gave her some much needed strength!

Kim said...

Of what beautiful babies! So glad Angel and her baby are doing well. I always tell new mommys about the magical full moon!

euthymic said...

Good thiing you saw the udder. Udderwise you might have never known.

Mocha Barney, Ashley Pumpernickel and Winniechurchill

Nezzy said...

I was just poppin' in to check on the baby count!!!

They are so stinkin' cute!

God bless ya and have a fantastic day sweeite!!!

matty said...

So pretty! I love Angel and how she seems to be flourishing with you! Amazing what love and good eats can do!

Brenda said...

Thank you Matty! Angel is flourishing. She absolutely loves her baby too. She seems so happy!

Claire the Shepherdess said...

So glad that Angel only had one kid - that will not be so hard on her for lactation and hopefully she can continue to regain her condition. Caramel's buckling is drop dead gorgeous! Those grey spots are stunning!

LeAnna said...

I always wished my babies would be born during the full moon, it was always before my due date. Ha! Never worked out, though.

I'm so excited, we're getting two Nigerian dwarf doelings this weekend. Would you perhaps be willing to share your goat cheese recipes?

jmdowd said...

What beautiful babies! I have really enjoyed reading your posts. We are expecting our first kids from our nubians in May. I am excited but a bit nervous. Hope all goes well.

Michelle in OK
http://homesteadharvest-doubledfarm.blogspot.com/