Friday, March 11, 2011

A Productive Day with Surprises

With the weather forecast to be in the upper 60's today ... I had planned a lot of extra work to get done around the farm ..... and, scheduled help to accomplish the work!  I've come to the conclusion that there just aren't enough hours in the day nor energy in my body to get all the work done that needs to be accomplished around here. 

I asked my son to come help me with cutting some trees that were growing around the lagoon of the dairy and some other odd jobs that were always on my "list" but just never seemed to get done.  Thank you J!

J ready to go cut some trees and pull them around with the yard tractor

Another task that has been terribly neglected is the trimming of my goat's hooves.  I have 57 adult goats and keeping them all trimmed has become difficult to get done.  So, what did I do?  I asked my wonderful friend Tonia from The Simple Life if she'd trim goat hooves for me.  We worked out a deal and she will be taking very good care of their hooves.  I am so happy and relieved about this.  She came today to trim hooves.  And, her daughters, Candice, Kara, and Kyla, worked on various cleaning jobs.  The milk parlor and feed room never looked better!  And, all of the cheese presses and hoops in the processing room have been washed.  I am so thankful for their help.

I received a wonderful phone call this morning from a dear blogging friend.  Terri from OurCrazyFarm was coming out to the farm for a visit.  Terri and her family are from Wisconsin.   They had traveled to Missouri taking care of details concerning the recent loss of their son.  I'm sure she'll be posting details of their trip and the events on her blog in the coming days.

I had just finished milking the first group of does when Terri, Rob, and their children arrived.  It was such a pleasure and blessing to meet Terri in person and hug her tight.  Even through the sorrow and suffering they've endured this past 3 weeks after the accidental death of their son, Trent, they have kept the Joy of the Lord in their hearts and lives.  They are a living example of trusting God in His perfect plan for their lives.  I am so blessed and honored that they took the time as they were traveling home to spend some time here on the farm with me.

Soon after they arrived, we took a walk through the barn meeting the goats and then went on to the kid nursery in my basement to see the baby goats. I had the feeling this morning that I should offer to send my last little spotted Nubian buck home with them.  Then I kind of felt silly since they had an 11 hour trip ahead of them to get back home.  So, I decided that if they really liked him when they saw him and mentioned that they needed a buck .... that's when I would offer him to take home with them.  Well ... all those things happened!   Terri thought he was beautiful and Rob was agreeable to take him on the trip home.  So Lilah's little boy went home with Terri and her family!  He's the one in front in the photo below.

Terri's new buckling

After visiting the baby goats, we went back to the milk parlor to milk the rest of the does.  While we were milking, Tonia and her daughters arrived.  She was very surprised to see Terri and her family standing there in my milk parlor helping to milk the goats.

It was a wonderful surprise ... and a great blessing to meet with good blogging friends.  I'm sure not many blogging friends ever get to meet each other, but when you do, it's like you've known each other forever.  Sharing the details and stories of our lives through blogging develops closer friendships than I had ever imagined.

Tonia, Terri, and me (Brenda)

We enjoyed our visit very much!


Terri's daughter, Grace, helped get the goats back into their pen after we finished the milking.

Grace helping

Terri's kids helping make sure all the goats were back where they belonged

It was also an incredible honor to meet and visit with Terri's husband, Rob. He is a licensed Cheesemaker in Wisconsin.  Not only is he a Cheesemaker, but his Mild Cheddar just won first place in the 2011 U.S. Championship Cheese Contest!  You can see his award listed here.  He also won several other awards for his cheeses at the contest.  I am humbled and honored to visit with him and send some of my cheeses home with them.

Thank you, Terri, Rob and all the kids for your visit!

The last surprise of the day was this beautiful buckling born just as I was getting ready to milk tonight.

Ivy's little boy

Ivy is one of my Yearling first fresheners.  She is one of Maggie's twin daughters from last spring.  She delivered this little buckling without assistance.  He had just been born when I came into the main barn to bring the first group of does to the milking parlor for tonight's milking.  He is fat, strong, and healthy.


Ivy and her little boy


It looks like Ivy is going to be a really good momma!

It was a great day!
..................................................................................

14 comments:

MilkMaid09 said...

What an awesome day! And to get to "meet" some really cool people, that's just great! I don't blame Terri - I'd suffer an 11 hr trip with that little buck on my lap any day ;}, he's just gorgeous!
Doesn't it feel great to get some of your To Do list done? It's like a great weight is lifted.

Rebecca of Sunny Morning Farm said...

OK Brenda, just where do I begin? I think I will begin to tell you that I am SO JEALOUS of you!! That was a mean and dirty rotten thing to do to me!!! I/we, Terri, the canned quilter and I were all supposed to meet you at the same time!! Just kidding, that really wasn't mean of you.......oh well come to think of it ....... it was very mean!!!!LOL

So glad they were able to get around to see you!!! Maybe they will pull up in my driveway today? I think I will go make a Blueberry Cheesecake, I think Terri will like that!!

You are such a good woman and I will come for a visit sometime, I promise!!!

Brenda said...

@ Ashley - I hope the little buck settled down quickly. He was laying beside Grace when they left and I sent a bottle of milk for his night feeding.

@ Becky - Awww .. I didn't mean to be mean to you. I do have to admit it's kinda fun letting you know though. :D

~Tonia said...

It was a great surprise and blessign to meet Terri and her family! My first thought when I walked in was No way!LOL It was a great day and I am happy that you got so many things done. Hope you Also got some rest!!

OurCrazyFarm said...

Brenda~ The smile has hardly left my face after visiting with you and Tonia yesterday! What a fabulous day! We made it home safely, but that little buck got a bit spoiled and rode on Grace's lap half of the way home. We're good at spoiling:)) We got some pretty funny looks walking our goat at the gas stations, too:))

I keep thinking about the look on Tonia's face when she walked in the goat barn~ what a great surprise! And I am envisioning the look on Becky's face right now~ we told her we were coming:)))))) I'll have to see if I can talk Rob into another trip south just for that cheesecake~ altho with the nearly 50 degree weather difference I could just pack up and move today!

Brenda said...

@ Tonia - I will always remember the look on your face when you saw Terri. It was great! Yes, I slept and rested well last night.

@ Terri - I'm so glad you made it home safely. I can imagine the looks you got when "walking" your little goat boy. :D You'd be welcome to move on down this way anytime!

edenhills said...

What a wonderful day. I have forty-some goats now, and it really is difficult to get those hooves taken care of. If I can actually get my son to help, it's done in no time, but as he's gotten older, it's harder and harder to get his time.

Teresa

The Johansen Family said...

Hi Brenda ~ I'm so glad you got to meet Terri. She's an amazing woman, isn't she??? If you're wondering who I am I am another friend of Terri's but don't get to see her much. She lives about 30 minutes from me. LOL. You live 11 HOURS from her and you still managed to snag a visit! Someday we'll all get to fellowship and get to know each other in heaven!!! I think it will be soon too (He's coming SOON!!!). Nice blog by the way.:)

Feral Female said...

Looks like an awesome day!

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

is the new buckling red? you know I love red.

I'm sure Terri and her family had a wonderful visit with you, I see smiles.

no, there are not enough hours in the day, and sometimes you just have to recruit some help.

Sherry Sutherby http://russ-stickacres.blogspot.com/ said...

Brenda ~ what a delight to stumble upon your Blog, via Terri's Blog. And I agree, you can meet a "Blogging friend" and instantly become (actually continue) a true friend. Looking forward to following your stories. We, too, have goats.

jmdowd said...

Brenda, I have enjoyed reading your blog. We are just starting out with a few dairy goats. We are expecting our first kids in a few weeks. Reading your posts have been very helpful. Thanks and keep writing!

Brenda said...

Welcome, jmdowd! Thank you very much! I'm glad you're enjoying the blog. I'll write more as time allows. Running the dairy and making cheeses takes a lot of time and energy! Best wishes for a successful kidding season.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for stoppin by my farm blog... I just love all the baby goat pics. Congratulations. I can wait to have babies here on my farm I've got so much to learn :)