Monday, December 26, 2011

Kidding Season 2012 (part 2)

Kidding season is continuing around here.  If you missed my post on the beginning of kidding season you can read about it here in Kidding Season 2012 (part 1)

Thursday the 22nd

Nellie - When I went out to check on the does early on the morning of Thursday, the 22nd, I found that Nellie had kidded over night.  She gave me another set of triplets ... all three girls!  Last season she gave me quads.  I've had Nellie for 4 kidding seasons and in these 4 years she has given me 10 doelings and 1 buckling.  She has a pretty interesting story ... you can read more about her here -> Nellie


This group of Nellie's daughters are champaign colored with lighter and darker spots.  


They're very pretty girls.... and very active.


Till it comes to nap time!





...........................................................................................

Maggie also kidded on Thursday the 22nd about mid-day.  She gave me twin doelings. I helped her dry them off, but other than that no assistance was needed.  I'm sure she could have dried them by herself too, but I wanted to feel useful...so I helped with that part.  Finally the buck heavy kidding season looked like it was going to even out with more doelings!

 Maggie's girls just born




.....................................................................................

Friday the 23rd

Sasha was in labor and pushing on the morning of Friday the 23rd when I stepped into the kidding barn to check on everyone.  She delivered a good sized buckling.  Since it was pretty chilly that morning, I dried him off good and made sure he nursed before continuing with morning chores.  



He is a pretty light red color with really long ears!


.....................................................................................

Liz - While I was finishing the morning chores of feeding and bringing fresh water to the does in the kidding pens, I noticed that Liz's udder was really full.  Her due date was the 22nd, so I knew she would be kidding soon, but she wasn't showing any signs of labor yet.  So, I went inside to get some breakfast and a shower.


Later, I found things to keep me busy in the kidding barn so I could keep an eye on the does that were due.  Liz delivered twin girls during the early afternoon on Friday the 23rd   The only assistance I gave to her was to help dry the babies off.


I think her little doeling with all the bright spots has the prettiest spots I've ever had on a baby goat born in my herd.  She's a deep brown color with black trim and brilliant white spots.

 She's beautiful.




The other little doeling has a few spots and is really cute, but .....


  .... not as pretty as her sister!


......................................................................................

Since my Mom isn't living with me during this kidding season, I thought it would be a good day to pick her up to come see the babies.  


It was a nice sunny warm afternoon and she enjoyed seeing the babies very much.  I think she's going to be glad she doesn't have to bottle feed all of them this year!  She has been a great help bottle feeding the babies the past 3 kidding seasons.  Here's Mom's Perspective on feeding the babies from a couple of years ago. 

I'm not looking forward to having to take on her job this year!  She's always done a great job of keeping the babies fed when we brought them into the Kid Nursery and started milking their mommas.

.......................................................................................



5 comments:

OurCrazyFarm said...

Sooooooo cute!! That little doe is precious:))

Mimi Foxmorton said...

Sweet goatie lovin'!
:)

Marg said...

I am going to try for the 3rd. time to get a comment to post. lol
Well I enjoyed the day getting to see all the new precious babies. Such beautiful colors. I loved them all, especially the spotted ones and the rare platnum colors.
I miss getting to bottle feed this season and getting to watch them grow up. It was fun for sure. They are so cute.
Love,
Mother

*~*~*~*~Tonia said...

So glad you haven't had to assist this year! Great they are doing so much by themselves! How many do you have due the next go around?
That little spotted doe is even cuter in person!

lacey said...

We bought some little does from u this year in janurary,we are interested in some more if you could just call us at1-870-895-2054 we are excited to hear back from you!!!thanks prissy prancer does and. Lacey