Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Kidding Season 2012 (part 3)

14 does have kidded and we have 27 babies so far.... 14 doelings and 13 bucklings.  If you missed my posts on the beginning of kidding season you can read them here in Kidding Season 2012 (part 1)  and here in Kidding Season 2012 (part 2)

Saturday the 24th


Christmas Eve was a busy kidding day out in the kidding barn.  Three does kidded that day.

Rosie greeted me on my early morning barn check with a new born doeling.  Rosie is Liz's 2 year old daughter.  This is her second freshening.  Her little girl is dark brown with black and tan spots.


 She's a good momma


......................................................................................

Ivy had also delivered in the early morning of the 24th.  She had a little buckling.  She is the 2 year old daughter of Maggie and is also a second freshener.




He's a strong boy and doing well

Splashie delivered twins while I was doing morning chores on Christmas Eve morning.  She gave me beautifully spotted babies ... a boy and a girl. Splashie is one of Nellie's 2 year old daughters and is a second freshener this year. 

I was there to watch the delivery help dry the babies off.  I'm glad I was there because the little doeling had a hard time getting her first breath.  I held her upside down and smacked her sides a few times to help clear her lungs.  I was so thankful when she took her first breath and started coughing the rest of the birth fluids from her lungs.  She's the first baby I've had to help at all this season.  Everything else with the delivery went smoothly.

 Splashie and her buckling


Splashie and her babies (doeling on the left and buckling on the right)

.....................................................................................

The does gave me a kidding break for Christmas.  No babies were born that day.  From all of the mature Nubian does, only Emily was left to deliver.  And, she waited till the day after Christmas.

Monday the 26th

Emily delivered twins on Monday morning the 26th.  One doeling and one buckling. 


Emily is 10 years old this year.  She is the foundation doe of my 2 gallon milking line.  This is the first time (in all the years I've had her) that she delivered completely un-assisted.  She is much stronger this year than she's ever been in the 5 years I've had her.  I'm sure it's due to all the exercise she's been getting while out grazing each day. 

Here she is with her twins born on the 26th ....

 Doeling in the front

 Emily's buckling


 She loves her babies

 Emily's doeling

........................................................................................


Emily went down with  Pregnancy Toxemia and Ketosis a couple of years ago and I was very worried about her recovery.  She spent about 8 weeks completely down without being able to stand up.  

As a comparison to the ease of kidding this year ... here is a reprint of Emily's assisted kidding from 2 years ago when she was fighting the Pregnancy Toxemia and Ketosis ..........
"Since Emily was in labor, I had been keeping an eye on all the time my Grandsons were out in the barn.  I figured that I'd have to help her deliver the babies, since she had lost so much muscle tone with being down so long.
When the boys decided to go into the house, I took the opportunity to assist with delivering Emily's kids.  I knew these kinds of deliveries can get really messy and unpleasant at times ... so I was glad they decided to go into the house to play with my Mom and have a little lunch.
I hung towels over the side of Emily's pen to dry the kids with and got my kidding kit where I could reach it.  I got as comfortable as I could behind her.  I broke the water sack and gently reached inside her to find the babies.
The first one had his front feet right there ready to deliver, but they were upside down ... his stomach was up and his back was down.  I couldn't feel his head anywhere and he was twisted in his cord.  I was up to my elbow inside her trying to get his head pointing nose forward on his legs so he could be delivered. 
Since he was upside down ... every time I could get his head positioned correctly and pulled his legs to get him out ... his head would slip back down into her body.  So, I knew I would have to turn him upright to get him delivered.  I did this by pushing on her side where he was to push him over and using my hand that was inside her to roll him over.  With him finally in an upright position ... his head stayed pointing out when I got it repositioned again ... I got him pulled out. 
I cleared the mucus and fluid from his face and hung him upside down for a little bit to clear his airways and he started breathing fine.  I laid him up beside Emily's head so she could lick him off while I went back inside to pull the other babies out.
 
I found two back legs next and pulled the second baby buck out.  I cleared his face of mucus and fluids and laid him with his head angled down for Emily to lick.  She was doing a fine job of cleaning them up! 
I went in again to get the next kid.  Once again  it was two back feet.  I pulled the little doe out and got her face cleared so she could breath. 
My Daughter came back out to the barn at about this time to check on me and found me in the middle of this mess!  I'm glad the boys had decided to stay in the house a little longer. 
After laying the little doe by her momma to lick, I slipped my arm back inside her to be sure there weren't any more babies in there.  
Then I checked the other two to be sure they were doing okay.  The second buck didn't look like he was breathing yet ... so I hung him upside down again and lots of fluid drained from his mouth and nose.  As I held him upside down, we noticed that he sounded like a bag full of water sloshing around inside.  I started pressing his stomach and LOTS of fluid came out of his mouth and nose.  He was full of fluid in both his stomach and lungs.  I was never able to get his airways cleared for him to breath.... we lost that one. 
After all the time Emily had been down and sick, I am very thankful for the two live healthy kids we have from her.  Here they are with her right after drying them off. 

 
Emily and her kids from 2010

........................................................................................


The LaMancha does will start kidding in a few days and we'll be in the middle of kidding again!

...............................................................................

6 comments:

Tayet Silverspoon said...

I wish I could be at your farm right now! It seems like it would be very fun stuff to be in the middle that. Maybe someday I will visit your farm in the kidding season. My two does are due the first week of March.

Tayet Silverspoon said...

Also, instead of going back in to the doe, you could try "bouncing". It's fool proof. Here's a link: http://fiascofarm.com/goats/bouncing.html

Brenda said...

Tayet - Bouncing would have worked if Emily could have stood up so I could get a good feel of her from the outside. But, 2 years ago when she had all that trouble, she was not able to stand or lift herself at all. So, since I had already been inside her to detangle and pull her babies, going back inside to be sure there were no more in there was the decision I made. My first kidding season with Emily, she gave me quads, so it was possible that there was another one.

Providence Acres Farm said...

Wow! You sure have had a busy season and been blessed with so many beautiful goat babies! Goatlings are so cute!

V.L. Locey said...

So many babies. I`m starting to get 'Gotta Hug A Kid' cravings!

Jennifer said...

All the kids are soooo sweet.